A Delicious Healthier Italian Chicken Recipe
I enjoy all Italian food but my favorite Italian chicken dish is Chicken Parmesan. I love the taste of a crispy fried chicken breast topped with gooey mozzarella cheese, slathered in rich tomato sauce all atop a mound of pasta. But what is paradise to my taste buds is often hard on my tummy (not to mention my thighs!), so I have learned to improvise. Here is my healthier version of Italian Chicken. It keeps my taste buds and my tummy singing in perfect harmony.
Annette’s Healthier Italian Chicken
1 can Italian diced tomatoes, drained
2 T. chopped, fresh basil or 1 T. dry basil
2 T. chopped, fresh oregano, or 1 T. dry oregano
1 t. olive oil
1 t. minced garlic
1/2 t. pepper
1 beaten egg white
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup panko or corn flake crumbs
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
3 -4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Shredded fat-free or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, herbs, olive oil, garlic, and pepper. Set aside to use later.
3. Combine the panko or corn flake crumbs with the seasoned breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Place the egg white in a small bowl and the 1/2 cup flour in a shallow bowl.
4. Dip each piece of chicken first in the egg white, then in the flour and then in the panko/breadcrumbs mixture and place in pan. Spray chicken lightly with butter cooking spray.
5. Cover the pan with foil and bake the chicken for approximately 25 minutes or until the juices run clear.
6. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over baked chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, if desired. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are warmed and cheese is melted.