One of my favorite things to have for dinner is chicken. I could eat chicken every night of the week. Sometimes I have roast chicken and veggies, sometimes I enjoy a Caesar Salad with grilled chicken on top. One of my all time favorite chicken dinners is Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry. I love the crunchy pastry on top and the creamy chicken and vegetables inside. Give it a try for dinner tonight. Your family will love it too!
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
8 ounce fresh carrots, (diced & steamed)
8 ounce white potatoes (cooked & cubed)
2 cups diced cooked chicken
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, cut into four squares
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 4 small, oven-proof bowls with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in 2 cups chicken broth, and whisk in all of the flour, gradually adding the remaining chicken broth until you have a smooth, slightly thick base.
- Mix in onion flakes, hot pepper sauce, pepper, thyme, and carrots.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and chicken, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In the bottom of each prepared bowl, place a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Divide the chicken mixture equally into the four bowls, over the cheese.
- Place a puff pastry square over the top of each bowl, pressing lightly around the rim.
- Brush the pastry with the egg and water mixture.
- Place the four bowls on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your dinner!