Try This Crockpot Beef Rouladen for Dinner Tonight
Beef Rouladen is a classic German dish that my husband and I make about 4 times a year. It is a very inexpensive meal to make, but you would never know it, because they are simply delicious. We usually make about 18 to 20 pieces at a time so that after we are finished cooking them, we can freeze them in individual meal containers.
When it comes to buying the beef to make these Rouladen you can usually find the meat pre-sliced in the fresh meat section of your supermarket. If for some reason you don’t see it, just ask the butcher at the market to slice some beef for you to make Rouladen with. They will know what you are talking about.
3 – 4 pounds beef rouladen
¼ cup stone ground mustard
10 slices bacon – cut in half
2 onions, diced
1 jar small dill pickles
½ cup flour
½ cup butter
1-1/2 cups beef stock or broth
1 tablespoon flour
Strong pointed toothpicks to pierce the beef rolls
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place each slice of beef between sheets of plastic wrap and tap with a meat mallet until paper thin.
- Spread each slice with some mustard.
- Salt and pepper each slice.
- Starting at the widest end of the beef slice, lay a strip of bacon in the middle down the length of the slice of beef.
- Lay a small pickle horizontally, close to the top.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon full of diced onions across the pickle.
- Roll up the beef slices beginning at the end that you placed the pickle on. Tuck in the sides as you go to hold in the onions and pickle.
- Pierce a toothpick through the center of the beef roll to hold it all together.
- Dredge each roll in flour; shake off excess.
- Add butter to a large skillet and brown beef rolls, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Place beef rolls in the crock pot once they are brown.
- Pour beef broth over all of them.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours until beef is very tender.
- Remove beef rolls from crock pot.
- In small bowl combine 1 tablespoon flour with 1 tablespoon water.
- Mix well, then stir into the liquid remaining in crock pot. Stir to combine and turn heat to high.
- Add beef rolls back into the crock pot. Place lid on.
- Cook for 10 – 20 minutes longer until sauce thickens; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with mashed potatoes if you like. Remind everyone to take the toothpicks out before they eat them.