When it comes to a workout move, it doesn’t get much harder than a burpee. Elite military forces and football teams incorporate burpees into their workouts, and for good reason. Burpees combine a squat, push up and jump, all into one torturous move. They require strength, balance, endurance, and flexibility. The great thing about burpees is that they only require your bodyweight and some serious willpower. They can be done almost anywhere, which makes them perfect for workouts done on the road or in small apartments.
How to perform a burpee:
1. Start in an upright standing position
2. Squat down and touch your hands to the floor in front of your feet
3. Swiftly push your feet back into a push up position
4. Perform a push up, then jump your feet back towards your hands
5. Stand up and jump, with your hands reaching towards the sky
6. Land in a squat position, and repeat
Benefits of burpees:
- Strength Training – Burpees work your entire body, from your lower back and abs to your quads and hamstrings. They are a great exercise to build and strengthen muscles.
- Cardiovascular Endurance – Your heart rate will blast through the roof while during burpees. It is one of the best full cardio workouts, and it’s only one move!
- Flexibility – Burpees help to increase flexibility in the back, hips, legs and core.
- Tone Muscles – Because burpees work so many muscles, it is one of the best moves you can do for your entire body.
- Convenience – Since burpees only require your body, they can be done almost anywhere, making them one of the most convenient exercises to perform.
Burpees are a challenging move, but they offer many rewards. Try adding a set of them into your current workout routine and watch your strength and cardio conditioning improve each day!