4. Microwave popcorn
It may smell good while it’s cooking, and that pop-pop-pop sound is immensely gratifying to hear, and it’s totally convenient, but there are several reasons to avoid microwave popcorn. For starters, the flavoring used to make the popcorn taste good and buttery is almost always 100% artificial and full of preservatives and GMOs. There’s also a chemical in microwave popcorn (called diacetyl) that, when inhaled, can cause a condition known as popcorn lung, which restricts your ability to breathe properly. Plus, the bag itself contains a known carcinogen. If you’re having a movie night at home, skip the bag and pop your own on the stovetop.